Steam showers are simple to use, but highly effective and offer so many benefits.
If you have ever been to a fitness center or a luxury spa resort, chances are you have come across a steam shower. Steam showers create a sense of relaxation with the added bonus of several benefits.
Steam shower benefits range from effective recovery from exercise through to stress management and relaxation.
With as little as one steam shower session per week, you could see amazing improvement on both your physical health and mental wellbeing.
What is a steam shower?
Steam showers, also known as steam baths, date back as far as the Roman times. They are exactly what you would expect from its name – a shower facility full of steam.
Steam showers come in different sizes and designs and although the shower/room may change, they all function equally and achieve the same outcome and benefits.
Top 5 Steam Shower benefits
So why steam? Surely it would be easier to just jump into a regular shower after a workout or to destress at the end of a long day. Yet many people still take 20 minutes out of their day to sit back and relax in a steam shower. This is because of the steam shower benefits.
There is a wide variety of benefits and we have brought you the Top 5.
1. Skin Care
One of the most noticeable steam shower benefits is your skin. Steam is a great addition to keeping your skin healthy and glowing. Many consider steam showers to be a part of their beauty routine for this reason.
The secret to achieving maximum results for your skin is to use a steam shower 3 times a week for about 10-20 minutes each session.
Consistency is key. Our skin builds up dirt, oils and toxins on a daily basis. More frequent use of a steam shower will aid in keeping your skin the healthiest it can be.
With regular use, these are the benefits you will experience:
- Steam opens up your pores, allowing your skin to breathe and perspire more freely.
- Increased sweating in each session allows for your skin to rid itself of dirt, oils and toxins that collect on your skin from daily life.
- Dry skin is hydrated.
- May reduce, or offer relief from, acne.
- Steam softens the skin leaving you with fresh, glowing skin.
- Soft skin makes shaving and waxing easier by preparing the follicles in your skin and therefore may reduce effects like razor rash.
2. Weight loss
A great benefit from steam showers is weight loss. Not only can you lose weight from sitting back and relaxing, but you can also aid future weight loss.
Now we are not saying you will drop 5 pounds every time, however with regular use you can help your body to continue to achieve a healthier you. How this works:
- A steam shower boosts your metabolism, allowing you to burn more calories in and out of the shower.
- Through sweating, you will rid your body of any excess water or waste in each steam session.
- Your stress levels are decreased. Stress can be linked to hormonal imbalances, depression and other conditions such as emotional eating, which can heavily affect weight loss or weight gain.
3. Recovery from exercise
A fast and efficient recovery from any exercise is important. It can determine how well you benefit from your physical activity, how fast you can move onto more exercise, and how long you feel uncomfortable and/or sore for.
There are many steam shower benefits that aid in recovery and they are:
- Blood circulation is improved due to the widening of blood vessels during a steam session, which improves your blood flow.
- Removes lactic acid from muscles which builds up during exercise.
- Steam can help to relieve aches and pains from everyday life, physical activity, and arthritis.
- Boosts metabolism.
- Helps with muscular flexibility.
- A steam shower followed by a cold shower/bath offers the benefits of hot and cold therapy for the entire body.
4. Stress Management
One reason many people use a steam shower, either in their home or at the gym/spa, is because they can relax. And relaxation leads to less stress.
You can combine a steam shower with aromatherapy (scents or fragrances) and relaxing music to give all of your senses a break.
The steam shower benefits related to effective stress management are:
- Steam shower sessions can promote a deep and restful sleep.
- Reduces tension by encouraging relaxation. This leads to a reduced tension in the muscles.
- You mentally adopt a sense of wellbeing. Happy mind = healthy body.
5. Respiratory health
Steam has been used for many years as an aid to help anyone suffering from breathing difficulties. Whether it be a breathing condition such as Asthma or a the common cold, steam can offer relief from these symptoms.
Respiratory benefits include:
- Asthma sufferers may find temporary relief from a steam shower.
- The steam opens up the airways in both your throat and nose, allowing for better breathing.
- Open airways allow the mist to help dislodge any mucus from colds or viruses.
- The hot steam will help soothe your airways.
How to use a steam shower
Using a steam shower is very easy and requires little to no effort at all. It’s as simple as stepping into the shower, turning the steam on (usually by pressing a button) and sitting back to relax.
As you step into the shower and take your seat, the room fills up with steam that will reach between 110 – 115 degrees Fahrenheit (this temperature may differ depending on individual showers). Once fully surrounded by steam, relax and enjoy for 10-20 minutes.
While you are relaxing, the benefits listed above start taking effect immediately. Right from the first steam session. Once you are finished, have a quick cold refreshing shower and you are ready to continue with your day. It’s so simple!
Make the most of your steam shower
So how can you make the most of your experience and get all of these great steam shower benefits?
Simply by incorporating these simple steps into your steam shower. It’s easy.
For the best results, wear a loose fitting towel so your skin can breathe easily. A tight towel or bathing suit can restrict your skins ability to sweat and breathe. However, if you are using a public steam room, some rules may apply as to what you can wear.
Ensure you are well hydrated before using a steam shower. You will sweat through your steam session and may become dehydrated if your body is not hydrated enough.
Listen to your body. Do not stay in the steam room for any longer than you can handle. If you feel ill or faint at any time, leave the steam shower and cool off with a cold shower. You should never spend more than 20 minutes in a steam shower.
Be wary of how quickly you jump into a cold shower or pool. A sudden temperature change can cause your body shock. To avoid this, wait 5-15 minutes between getting out of the steam shower and getting into a cold shower.
You may also like to add some scents or fragrances to help you unwind and increase your steam shower benefits.
What are you waiting for?
Hopefully we have helped you to understand all of the wonderful steam shower benefits and gotten you excited to for some amazing results for such little effort.
With the pressures and busy schedules of everyday life, it can be challenging to take the time out to look after yourself. Especially when we look at how much attention our bodies really need. But with 20 minutes a day, 1-3 times a week, we can not only re-energize our bodies but our minds as well.
So what are you waiting for? Go and jump into that steam shower. Both your body and your mind will thank you for it.