Most people have a set bedtime routine that they stick to in order to help them unwind for the night. Usually, this consists of teeth brushing, face washing, and maybe watching a TV show or reading a book. While all these things are great, a lot of people are leaving out a very beneficial and simple step to their bed time routine- drinking water before bed.
Water is one of the healthiest things you can put into your body, and there are many benefits of drinking water before bed that people don’t know about. Here are a few of the reasons that drinking water before bed is good for you:
1. Keep your body hydrated
Hydrating your body is one of the most important benefits of drinking water before bed. Throughout the course of your day you lose a lot of fluids. Whether you are working, cooking, cleaning, exercising or running errands, your body is constantly exerting fluids. These fluids need to be replenished, and a great time to do it is before you go to bed.
When you sleep, your body doesn’t use up as many fluids because you are lying still, so drinking water before bed is a great time to get these fluid levels back where they need to be so your body can wake up hydrated and ready to go.
2. Restore your skin’s youthful glow
If your shelf is littered with products that are supposed to help hydrate and clear your skin, drinking water before bed can probably help to eliminate half of these. Skin is the body’s largest organ and it needs nourishment to function properly. Drinking a glass of water before bed will help keep your skin hydrated so it can maintain a radiant glow.
For some people, acne occurs because their skin is too dried out. One of the benefits of drinking water before bed is that is is a simple and easy solution to keeping your skin moisturized and pimples at bay.
3. Slim down while you rest up
If you are trying to lose weight, a glass of water before bed can significantly help. This is because water is a natural calorie burner! That’s right, not only does water not contain any calories, it also helps your body burn calories.
If you want to burn some excess calories in your sleep, try drinking a glass of ice water before going to bed. When you are cold, your body works to bring up your temperature, and in the process burns calories and boosts your metabolism. Drinking ice water will double the rate at which your body works to keep you warm, therefore doubling the calories burned.
Also important to mention, is that sometimes our bodies trick us into thinking we are hungry when we are really just thirsty. When you are craving a late night chocolate chip cookie, what you may really just need is a glass of water.
4. Flushes Out those Toxins
Food, the environment, and other everyday elements you come into contact with are wreaking havoc on your body by loading it with harmful toxins. These toxins need to be flushed out as soon as possible, and one of the best ways of doing so is by drinking water before bed. A glass before bed will provide your body with the time it needs to flush out unwanted toxins. Cleaning out these toxins on a regular basis with a glass of water before bed will help to keep your body healthy and functioning properly. Do your skin, muscles and digestive system a favor by making this a regular part of your routine.
5. Catch some serious zzz’s
Of course, you wouldn’t want to drink water before bed if it didn’t help you sleep. Many people worry that drinking water before bed will disrupt their sleep because they will have to wake up in the middle of the night to use the bathroom.
However, the truth is quite contrary, as another one of the benefits of drinking water before bed is that it will actually help relax you and help you fall asleep faster. This is because drinking water brings balance to your hormone levels, energy levels, vitamins and minerals, and muscles and joints. Having all of these aspects of your body in balance will help you to sleep more soundly and consistently. And while you’ll wake up in the morning having to use the restroom, a glass before bed shouldn’t stir you from your slumber.
6. Drinking warm water for added benefits
Maybe cold water isn’t your thing or you like the soothing effect of sipping on a warm liquid before bed to help you unwind. Instead of sipping on hot cocoa or warm milk, try drinking warm water before bed. Drinking warm water before bed will still get you all of the same benefits of drinking room temperature water, plus some more. If you switch to drinking warm water before bed you can expect to experience these additional benefits:
- Cure for constipation: A glass of warm water can help break down food particles so they can move more easily through the intestines.
- Alleviates a cold or cough: A glass of warm water can sooth a scratchy throat and help push down phlegm that is building up in your system.
- Increases Sweat: Sweating is beneficial because it helps rid the body of toxins and cleans the skin cells by removing excess water and salt.
- Reduce Bodily Aches and Pains: Menstrual cramps, stomach aches, headaches and body aches can all be relieved by drinking a glass of warm water before bed.
- Improve Blood Circulation: Drinking warm water helps to burn fat deposits and break down deposits in the nervous system, which allows for better blood circulation.
Warm water can inhibit the effects of some medications, so always check with your physician first before adding it to your routine.
7. Drinking lemon water before bed
Many people who enjoy sodas and other flavored beverages may find it difficult to stick to drinking plain water every night. Drinking most flavored beverages at night is detrimental because it can disrupt your sleep. Those looking for an alternative to the blandness of water have the option of drinking lemon water before bed. If you suffer from sore throats, sinus infections, blotchy skin or constipation, drinking lemon water before bed may be the answer to your health issues. Here are a few of the benefits that a zest of lemon to your nighttime glass of water can provide:
- Detoxification: Lemon is a mild diuretic that can aid in water’s natural ability to detoxify.
- Aid in digestion: Lemon has a high acidic level. This helps your body process foods more slowly and helps it regulate its insulin levels throughout the night. Lemon can also help absorb nutrients which leads to less bloating.
- Boosts the Immune System: The vitamin C present in lemon can help rid the body of toxins and fight infections.
- Skin Rejuvenation: The antioxidants in lemon water can help fight free radicals and protect the skin from damage.
- Increased energy levels: The negative charged ions found in lemons can help boost your energy levels and your mood.
- Weight loss aid: Lemon contains pectin, a type of fiber that will reduce cravings and make you feel full for longer.
If you find the taste of lemon off-putting, there are a few other things you can consider adding to your water that give it a little more flavor yet still provide health benefits:
- Lavender: For centuries, lavender has been used to help relax and unwind. Recent studies show that it can also help induce drowsiness. All you need is a few drops added to your water.
- Honey: Honey can help sooth the throat and it can also help expedite the process of converting serotonin to melatonin, a chemical that helps you sleep.
- Nutmeg: A pinch of nutmeg contains components that are similar to tranquilizers.
- Peppermint: A few mint leaves combined with warm water can help relieve nausea, indigestion, gas and bloating.
8. Drink a glass of water before bed to avoid stroke or heart attack
As you can see, there are many benefits of drinking water before bed. Typically, our bodies need around three to four liters of water per day. This may seem like a lot, but drinking water throughout the day in increments and making a habit of drinking water before bed will help you reach this goal.
Incorporating a glass of water before bed is an incredibly easy habit to start. Just always have a cup on your nightstand so you remember to fill it up before going to bed. If you want to start your morning off right, do so by making the right decisions before you go to sleep. There are many benefits of drinking water before bed that will carry over to when you wake up and will help you start each morning refreshed and rejuvenated.
For us older kids, the biggest benefit for drinking water before bed is, of course, that it helps our blood circulate and keeps those electrolytes zinging around. Good post. Thanks, Edward